Weather Alert: Solomon Islands, Cyclone 03P “Jasper”
Location: Guadalcanal and Western Province, Solomon Islands
Event: Category 1 Cyclone 03P “Jasper” is currently heading toward the Solomon Islands, and heavy rain with the potential to cause flooding or landslides is forecast. Flash flooding is expected over low-lying areas and areas close to riverbanks, including coastal flooding. Very rough seas with heavy to phenomenal swells are expected over all local waters.
U.S. citizens residing in or visiting the Solomon Islands should monitor local weather forecasts closely over the coming days and prepare their residences and families.
U.S. citizens are advised to monitor local media and government authorities throughout the duration of the storm. U.S. citizens who experience an emergency during the storm may contact the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, at the contact information below.
Actions to take:
- Regularly monitor the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) websites.
- Seek secure shelter and stay indoors until the storm is over.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Follow guidance from national meteorological agencies and local authorities for storm warnings and potential evacuation guidance.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for general information and travel advice.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) .
U.S. Embassy Port Moresby
Harbour City Road, Konedobu P.O. Box 1492
Port Moresby, NCD 121
Papua New Guinea
Phone number: +675-308-9100
After Hours for American Citizens: +675-7200-1111
Email address: ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov
Embassy website: https://pg.usembassy.gov/
We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in our Consular district (Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands or Vanuatu) enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest security updates. By enrolling, you make it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in case of an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate or consular agency. The Embassy also uses this list to notify Americans of potential holiday and other activities.
Read the Country Information Page s for Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, which contain current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution.
You can obtain also obtain assistance from the State Department in Washington D.C. by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).