Visas for Diplomats and Government Officials

Diplomats and Government Officials (Visa Class A, G, C-2 and C-3)

Diplomatic and government officials may qualify for a diplomatic or official class visa for travel to the United States related to official activities on behalf of your government or international organization. Local and provincial government officials do not qualify for A or G visas. Qualified visa applicants traveling to the United States for assignments of less than 90 days will be issued visas annotated “TDY” (temporary duty).

Diplomatic passport holders who wish to travel to the United States on personal travel may be entitled to a B1/B2 tourist visa at no cost. Please contact the Embassy for further details.

Visa Classes for Diplomats and Government Officials

  • A-1: Head of State; an officer on permanent/long-term assignment at an accredited diplomatic or consular post; a position corresponding to that of the U.S. Cabinet; the presiding officer of a national legislative body; a member of the highest judicial tribunal.
  • A-2: Government officials on temporary assignment or short-term official business trip (90 days or less) to the United States; administrative and technical staff of an accredited diplomatic or consular post; members of armed services (military) traveling to the United States for education or training.
  • A-3: Personal or Domestic Employees of Officials holding an A-1 or A-2 visa.
  • C-2 or C-3: Officials transiting the United States en route to a foreign country, or to the United Nations Headquarters in New York for temporary business.
  • G-1: Officials assigned to a permanent mission of a recognized government to an international organization.
  • G-2: Representatives of a recognized government traveling to the United States temporarily to attend meetings of a designated international organization.
  • G-3: Representatives of non-recognized or non-member governments of an international organization.
  • G-4: Personnel who are proceeding to the United States to take up an appointment at a designated international organization, such as the United Nations.
  • G-5: Personal or Domestic Employees of Officials holding a G visa.
  • Family Members: Immediate family members (spouse, children under age 21) of a diplomat or official who qualifies for one of the above visa classes may also qualify

How to Apply for a Diplomatic or Official Visa

Applicants for Diplomatic and Official class visas do not need to appear for an interview nor pay the visa application fee (except A-3 and G-5 applicants). Please contact us via email ( to advise us of your intent to apply and to schedule a time when a courier/your representative may drop off your application documents.

Required Documentation

You or your representative/courier must submit the following documents for each applicant for a diplomatic or official visa:

  1. The DS-160 Visa Application confirmation page; and,
  2. Your passport or other recognized travel document, such as a United Nations laissez-passer; and,
  3. A photo (2×2 inches or 5×5 cm) taken within the last 6 months; and,
  4. A-1 and A-2 applicants only: A diplomatic note or note verbale listing the name of the official travelers and specify their title or official status.  It should also specify the intended date of travel and the purpose of the trip and length of stay in the United States.
  5. G-1 through G-4 applicants only: an official request from the appropriate international organization. This should be sent directly to the Embassy ( in advance of submitting your other documents.

Additional documents are required for A-3 and G-5 applicants. Please refer to this page for further information.