Nonimmigrant Visas: Temporary Employment & Business

The Embassy is not currently processing routine non-immigrant visitor visas (e.g., most B class visas).  However, we continue to provide all immigrant visa services and we can accommodate non-immigrant visa services for mission-critical and emergency cases, including for student and exchange visitor visas (F, M, or J class visas); employment-based visas (e.g., H and L class visas); diplomatic or official visas; and cases (including B class visas) that relate to repatriations, adoptions, family reunification, emergency and medical travel, or other situations of a sufficiently compelling nature. If you believe your case meets one of these criteria, please write to


Temporary employment visas are for persons who want to enter the United States for employment lasting a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite. Each of these visas requires the prospective employer to first file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An approved petition is required to apply for a temporary employment visa.

See our Temporary Employment Visa Categories on to determine which visa category might be appropriate for your purpose of travel to the United States.

If you have any questions regarding any part of the U.S. visa process, please contact the Consular section at