Replacing a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Passport

If your passport was lost or misplaced, backtrack to places that you previously visited, such as shops where you previously purchased duty-free goods, banks or money exchange agents where you exchanged currency. If it was missing after a taxi ride, contact the taxi company.

If it was stolen, report to the hotel management (if the theft happened in the hotel/hostel), the local police and your nearest U.S. Consulate General immediately. Even if your passport was not stolen, report the loss to the local police in case your passport was found and turned in to them, or, someone attempts to use your passport. If your reported lost/stolen passport is found after a replacement was issued to you, the passport fees will not be refunded.

When you apply for a replacement passport, you are required to complete the following:

  • Lost or stolen passport:  Application for a U.S. Passport – Form DS-11 (PDF 101 KB)  and Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport – Form DS-64 (PDF 115 KB).
  • Damaged or mutilated passport: Application for a U.S. Passport – Form DS-11 (PDF 89 KB).

Note:  For children under age 14,  click here for special instructions.
Completing the application for a U.S. passport (Form DS-11)
Completing statement regarding lost or stolen passport (Form DS-64):

Do not
leave any boxes on this form blank, you are required to answer ALL the questions on the form. Even if you are not certain how and when your passport was lost/stolen, state when and where was the last time you used or saw your passport.  If you have reported to the local police, submit a copy of the police report (if available) with your application, or state when and which police office you filed the report and the report number.

Please read the Privacy Act Statement and Certification at the bottom of the form before you sign and date it.

Note: Applicants with a history of multiple loss/stolen/mutilated passports may be issued with a limited validity passport.

Processing time

Generally, it may take up to 3 weeks to process from the time your application is complete and in order.   An emergency passport may be issued if you need to travel urgently.  The emergency passport will be valid to not more than one year and cannot be extended.  You are then required to exchange your emergency passport for a full-validity passport upon completion of your emergency travel by submitting a new application and photographs to any passport facilities in the U.S. or U.S. Embassies/Consulates abroad.  Certain applicants may be required to submit further evidence of citizenship and/or identity with the new application.  No fee will be charged for the full validity passport provided you submit a new application before the temporary passport expires.

Conditions for downloading passport application forms

  • Submit all pages of the application forms. Your application will not be accepted unless all pages are submitted.
  • The application forms must be printed clear and sharp; forms that are blurred or illegible will not be accepted.
  • Print the application forms on A4 size plain white photocopy paper with a matte surface. Thermal paper, dye-sublimation paper, special inkjet paper, and other shiny papers are not acceptable.
  • Print the application forms only on one side of a sheet of paper, not front and back.
  • The forms must be printed in black on white paper, not in color print or on colored papers.
  • Forms printed with dotted or broken lines, or blackout portions will not be accepted.
  • Do not shrink the size of the forms for printing. Please make sure that the photograph area on the application form is 5 cm X 5 cm in order to attach the photograph correctly.

Select required forms by clicking on the form numbers below:

  • Application for a U.S. Passport – Form DS-11 (PDF 101 KB)
  •  Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport Form DS-64 (PDF 115 KB)
  • Affidavit of Identifying Witness Form DS-71 (PDF 73 KB)
  • Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 Form DS-3053