Passports for Children

Child’s Passport (from birth to age 16)

Please review the following FIVE STEPS before beginning your application. Please note: minors under age 16 must apply in person.

Step 1 – Complete form DS-11 (PDF 89 KB), Application for a U.S. Passport:

Please ignore pages one and two of the printed instruction pages, as they do not apply when applying for your passport in Papua New Guinea.  Form DS-11 must be printed on separate sheets of paper; please do not print this form on front and back of the same sheet.

Step 2 – Schedule an appointment online

Step 3 – Present the following documents:

  • Most recent U.S. passport of the child (if applicable),
  • U.S. birth certificate or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of the child,
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names) as well as amended State birth certificate listing adoptive parents names;
  • Court Order establishing custody; or
  • Court Order establishing guardianship.
  • Valid U.S. or foreign passport/driver’s license/state ID/ national ID of the parents,
  • If either parent’s name is different from the name listed on the child’s birth certificate, name change documentation must be furnished (e.g. marriage certificate, court order).

Step 4 – Pay the applicable fee

The application fee for an applicant under the age of 16 is U.S. $105.00. Payment is made on the day of the appointment.

The fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.

Step 5 – Passport Photographs

Applicants must provide one passport photograph. Please review the specific photo requirements.
Application by One Parent:  If only one parent is able to appear, the following will be required in addition to forms and documents listed for the passport application:

  • Form DS-3053 (PDF 42 KB) if you are the non-applying parent or guardian providing written consent for your minor child to apply for a U.S. passport because you are unable to appear in person with your child (Statement of Consent). The Statement must be notarized before a U.S. Notary Public or a Polish notary. American Embassies and Consulates abroad can also notarize Form DS-3053 free of charge. The consent cannot be more than 3 months old.

One of the following documents will also be required:

  • Copy of a valid U.S. or foreign passport/driver’s license/state ID/ national ID of the absent parent;
  • Copy of a valid military id;
  • Copy of a valid U.S. government id;
  • Copy of Alien Resident Card from USCIS (green card).

Otherwise, if the notarized consent of the absent parent is not available, you will be required to furnish evidence of the appearing parent’s sole authority to apply for the passport in the form of one of the following:

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent;
  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applicant parent;
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);
  • Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.
  • Form DS-5525 (PDF 41 KB) if you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained (Statement of Exigent Special Family Circumstances).