Applying for a U.S. passport while outside the United States is a different process from applying for a U.S. passport while inside the United States.
Listed below are the basic steps you should know when applying for a U.S. passport at the U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby. Except for emergency situations, applications for U.S. passports are accepted by appointment only.
Please note: If you intend to travel in the near future, please plan accordingly and book your appointment early. Most countries in the region require at least 6 months validity in your passport. Passport renewals normally take at least two weeks.
- Application Forms – The same application forms are used whether you are inside or outside the U.S., though the process for submitting the form will be different. If you are applying at the U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby, DO NOT follow the submission instructions included within the application form, which are intended for people applying from within the United States. Instead you will submit your documents in person directly to the Embassy. Please see our Application Forms page for more information on passport forms.
- Supporting Documents –With your application you will need to submit supporting documents, verifying your citizenship and identity. The required supporting documentation varies based on the application form used, so consult your form for more details.
- Photos – The photo you submit for your application must meet all U.S. passport photo requirements. Be aware that photo requirements for a U.S. Passport may vary from passport photo requirements of other countries. Click here for a full list of passport photo requirements.
- Fees –The U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby can only accept your payment via cash in U.S. or local currency or via credit card. We cannot accept personal checks. Click here for a full list of fees.
- Processing – Expedited processing is not available for passports when you apply from outside the United States. All passports requested from overseas are printed in the U.S. and sent to the Embassy. The average processing time for a U.S. passport is five to ten business days. In an emergency, we can issue limited validity passports on the same day if the applicant has all the required documents.