Frequently Asked Questions

Passports and Citizenship

No, the National Passport Information Center number is meant to answer questions for passport customers applying in the United States. If you have questions while you are outside the U.S., your local Embassy or Consulate is the best source of information. Check the website of the closest Embassy or Consulate for instructions specific to that office. If you have questions about the application instructions on the Embassy or Consulate’s website, contact the American Citizen Services unit in the Consular Section using the email address or phone number listed.  

Yes, you can apply for a passport card while outside of the United States at the same time you apply for a book, or separately, but the passport card is only valid for travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean region. The passport card cannot be used for air travel.  

If you are outside of the U.S., your Acceptance Facility is your local Embassy or Consulate, unless you are active duty military. On the passport form, the acceptance agent refers to ‘a U.S. consulate official’ If you are active duty military, check with your chain of command to find a military Acceptance Agent.  

Yes, these requirements are the same no matter where you apply. You still need to provide acceptable evidence of U.S. citizenship and identity. 

No, unlike Acceptance Facilities located in the United States, Embassies and Consulates cannot accept personal checks or money orders. They can only accept payment via cash on site (either in local currency or U.S. dollars) or in some cases via credit card. Please see the website of your embassy or consulate to see what forms of payment they are able to accept.

No. Outside of the U.S., the passport is actually printed in the U.S. and sent abroad to your Embassy or Consulate, and we are unable to change the production process. However, Embassies and Consulates can always issue a limited validity emergency passport if you have urgent travel needs. 

No. That’s meant for customers in the U.S. applying at a Passport Acceptance Facility and not one of our Passport Agencies-a Clerk of the Court or a Post Office, for example. Outside of the U.S., you are applying at an Embassy or Consulate, which we consider to be a State Department Facility.  

While abroad, we will notify you via email to tell you when your passport is ready. Use the email address you are using while outside of the U.S.  

If you are only temporarily residing outside of the U.S., you may put your permanent U.S. address here. If you are permanently residing abroad, and this address is the same as your mailing address, you can just write “same.”  

We need this information in the event we have to reach someone in a hurry on your behalf. It doesn’t have to be somebody in the U.S., especially if you live permanently outside the U.S. If that is the case, put down local addresses and phones. If you are outside the U.S. temporarily, it might make more sense to have a U.S. based contact for us to reach on your behalf.  

Delivery methods vary by Embassy and Consulate. Possible methods may include a self-paid courier, the mail service, or picking it up in person.

Yes, extra visa pages can be easily added to your passport. You are required to complete an application form and submit it with your passport to the Consular Section of U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby. (see Application for additional visa pages)

Alternatively, if your passport expires in the next few months, you may consider applying for a new passport. If you are a frequent traveler, you may request a 48-page passport in writing with your application at no extra cost.

You may renew your passport any time before or after it expires. Because your passport is required to be valid for at least six (6) months beyond your stay when you travel to certain foreign countries, you may need to renew your passport before it expires.

If your passport was issued 15 years or more prior to your application for a new passport, additional forms, supporting documents and fees may be required. Please click here for information and application forms.

No, if your passport was issued with full validity (i.e. 10 years for adults and five (5) years for minors), you must apply for a new passport. However, if your passport was issued with limited validity due to certain reasons (e.g. as a replacement for a lost/stolen passport), you may apply for extension without charges (unless otherwise stated on the endorsement printed in your passport). Contact the Consular Section for further information.

All passport application forms can be obtained from the Consular Section of the Embassy in Port Moresby, which will be sent to you upon request. Click here for information and application forms. Please read the conditions before printing the application.

No, you should submit your application to the Consular Section of U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby.

Your application will then be forwarded to the United States for issuance, which may generally require about 10 days to return your new passport to you, provided your application is all in order. You should include a prepaid self-addressed Registered Post or Express Post Platinum envelope for return of your passports and documents.

Yes, your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you with the new passport. You may have to re-apply for your foreign visas previously current in your old passport. Please contact the relevant foreign embassies or consulates for information.

Yes, unless they are eligible to use the Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail here to check whether they are eligible to use this form. Otherwise, they must use Application for a U.S. Passport (form DS-11) and sign their applications in the presence of the Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby.

Effective March 26, 2004, children under age 14 must appear in person with their parents to submit their applications for either a first passport or a renewal. Click here for further details.

No. The U.S. regulations require all U.S. citizens to enter and depart the United States at all times on their valid U.S. passports, regardless of their ages or how many foreign passports one may have.

There is no guarantee of entry to the United States without a valid U.S. passport. It would be your decision to travel to a foreign country with either your U.S. or Papua New Guinean passport, however, you must contact the Embassies or Consulates of the foreign countries you intend to travel to for information regarding any visas or entry requirements.

You may consult the P.N.G Department of Foreign Affairs and Immigration for the contact information of various Embassies and Consulates.

There are transmission of citizenship requirements to be met by the U.S. citizen parent(s) before a child can be documented as a U.S. citizen. (see Consular Report Of Birth Abroad).

The application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad/Social Security Number (Form DS-2029/SS-5) is not available online and must be obtained from the Consulate General. You may submit this form and the passport application at the same time.

No, only U.S. citizen parent(s) may transmit citizenship to children, NOT grandparent(s). Therefore, you should first check whether your mother has derivative claim to U.S. citizenship through her father, then your possible claim to citizenship through your mother.

If you still have passport or citizenship questions, please contact the Consular Section of the Embassy in Port Moresby.

You may submit your application by mail ONLY if you are eligible to use the Application for a passport by mail – form DS-82 (PDF 80 KB). Click here to check the criteria. If you are applying for your first U.S. Passport and/or must complete Application for a U.S. Passport – form DS-11 (PDF 89 KB), you must submit your application in person at the U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby. However, the Consular Officer will request an interview in person with any applicant when deemed necessary.

Social Security and Federal Benefits

You may contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Consular Section request the application form and instructions. You may also download the form SS-5 here (PF 237 KB)

You may change your name on your Social Security card by completing application form SS-5 available here (PDF 237 KB) and submit it with original name change documents, e.g. marriage certificate or current passport showing the old and new names to the Embassy in Port Moresby.

You may have your payments paid by direct deposit to your U.S. bank by completing form SSA-1199. Click here (PDF 43 KB) to download the form.

You may request a statement of benefits from the Regional Social Security Office at the Embassy in Manila by telephone: 0011-632-522-4716 or by email: You will need to provide your Social Security number and address.

Your surviving spouse may be entitled to receive a payment. Further information concerning surviving spouse entitlement may be obtained from for Veterans benefits, or for Social Security benefits.

U.S. Income Tax

The 1040 pack may be downloaded from the IRS website at or you may forward a stamped, magazine-sized envelope with a written request for the 1040 tax package to the Consular Section in Port Moresby . The approximate weight of the 1040 pack is 400 grams. Please check with your local post office for the correct postal rate

For forms other than the 1040 pack, please contact the IRS directly

phone: 0011-1-215-516-2000

fax: 0011-1-215-516-2555/3256

or you may download the forms directly from the website at

An Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is used by persons who are NOT U.S. citizens/nationals or permanent residents (they have Social Security numbers). You may apply for an ITIN by completing a W-7 form and attaching a certified copy of your identification, e.g. current passport. Click here to download the form. For further information, please email

If you still have tax questions, please contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Service Center in Philadelphia on 0011 1 215 516 2000. The Service Center is open 20 hours a day, from 6.00am to 2.00am (U.S. Eastern standard time).


You may obtain information on how to obtain U.S. birth/marriage/divorce/death certificates by consulting, or U.S. CDC National Center for Health Statistics.

Contact the Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages in the state or territory where the event took place.

You may obtain information on how to vote by checking the Federal Voting Assistance Program at Alternatively, you may contact the Consular Section to obtain the necessary voting forms and information.

The Embassy cannot assist with the renewal of your U.S. driver’s license.

Contact the Papua New Guinean Department of Foreign Affairs and Immigration at telephone: 301-4110/3014196.

The Department of State has current lists of travel warnings/public announcements at

Customs Inquiries

Consult the “Know Before You Visit” section on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.