In the event of the death of an American Citizen in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands or Vanuatu:
Please contact the U.S. Embassy Port Moresby by phone at +675 321-1455 or +675 308-2100 during normal business hours from 08:00am to 4:30pm Mondays to Fridays except on U.S. or Local holidays. For calls outside our normal working hours, please contact the Duty Officer on mobile: +675 7200-9439.
Please be aware that you will be asked to provide as much as possible of the following information relating to the deceased:
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of death (e.g. name and address of the hospital)
- Cause of death (if known)
- Most recent U.S. passport number
- Social Security Number
- Military I.D. number (if applicable)
- Name and contact details of the next of kin
- Most recent address in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands or Vanuatu
The U.S. Embassy can assist the family in making arrangements with local authorities for preparation and disposition of the remains, following the family’s instruction in accordance with local law.
A consular “Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad” will be prepared. This is a report that provides the essential facts concerning the death of a U.S. citizen, disposition of remains, and custody of the personal effects of a deceased citizen.