Child and Family Matters


U.S. citizens seeking to adopt a child from Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, or Vanuatu should refer to the U.S. Department of State’s Intercountry Adoption website for detailed information about local and U.S. laws and regulations regarding adoption by (a) foreign parent(s).

Birth of a U.S. Citizen Abroad

Congratulations! As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad as soon as possible to establish an official record of the child’s U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), a United States citizenship document that functions as a U.S.-recognized birth certificate. Please note that whether or not the child of a U.S. citizen parent has U.S. citizenship from birth depends on the ability of one or both parents to transmit his/her/their citizenship to the child, according to U.S. law. To determine if you transmitted U.S. citizenship to your child at birth, refer to the information on Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad.

Note: the CRBA is not a travel document. The Embassy strongly encourages applying for the child’s passport at the same time as you apply for the CRBA.

How to Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. Passport

Make an appointment at the Embassy to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. You may apply for a passport for the child during the same appointment. If you will be accompanied by a third party (e.g. an attorney or other representative), please see our policy on third party attendance at passport and CRBA appointment interviews.

Application by One Parent Only

If the father is unknown or not listed on the birth certificate, no additional documentation is required. Otherwise, if only one parent is able to appear, the following will be required in addition to forms and documents listed above:

  1. Form DS-3053 correctly completed, signed, and notarized by a notary public, commissioner of oaths, or U.S. Consular Officer. Please closely follow the instructions included with the form and complete every block to the best of your knowledge. DS-3053 forms signed and notarized more than 90 days prior to the in-person service will not be accepted,
  2. A copy of the non-applying parent’s government ID used to sign and notarize the form must also be presented.

Otherwise, if the notarized consent of the absent parent is not available, you will be required to furnish evidence of the appearing parent’s sole authority to apply for the CRBA and passport in the form of one of the following, as applicable:

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad listing only one parent
  • Child’s birth certificate listing only one parent
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent)
  • Court order granting sole and permanent legal and physical custody to the applying parent (i.e., the absent parent has no access to the child, and child’s travel is not restricted)
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the other parent
  • Death certificate of the other parent
  • Form DS-5525 if you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained due to exigent or special circumstances. Please note, there is a high bar for acceptance of DS-5525 forms.

Prepare the following items to bring to your appointment. Forms are available at the Embassy if you do not have access to a printer.

  1. Form DS-2029 – Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Click here to complete and print form DS-2029. DO NOT sign the form until you are asked to do so during your child’s appointment.
  2. Form DS-11 – Application for a U.S. Passport. Click here to complete and print form DS-11. DO NOT sign the form until you are asked to do so during your child’s appointment. The Embassy strongly encourages applying for the child’s passport at the same time as you apply for the CRBA.
  3. One 2″ x 2″ (5cm x 5cm) photograph. Click here for exact photo requirements. Photos that do not meet these requirements will not be accepted.
  4. The child’s foreign birth certificate. You must present the birth certificate issued by the appropriate authority. We do not accept local or hospital certificates.
  5. Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Your current U.S. passport is preferred, though you may also present a certificate of naturalization or certificate of citizenship.
  6. Proof of relationship between the child and the U.S. citizen parent(s). Typically, an official birth certificate listing the parent(s) names will suffice.
  7. If the parents are married, parents’ marriage certificate. And, if either parent has been married previously, you must also submit the divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) for all prior marriages.
  8. Proof of the U.S. citizen parent(s) physical presence in the United States. Transmission of citizenship to a child born abroad may depend on how long the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States through his or her life, prior to the birth of the child. Refer to Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad for more details. Generally, the Consular Officer can often ascertain this information through an interview with the parent(s) and U.S. government records. If the Consular Officer is unable to ascertain via the interview and totality of the circumstances that the U.S. citizen parent has met the applicable requirement, the Consular Officer may request additional documentation, as necessary.

Note: The name listed on line 1 of Form DS-2029 should be the name of the child as it is recorded on the local birth certificate. If there is an error on the birth certificate, you should obtain an amended birth certificate before applying. Material differences between the name listed on Form-2029 and the name on the birth certificate require supporting documentation and an affidavit from the parent(s).

Come to the Embassy on the date and time of your appointment with all required documents. The child must be seen by the Consular officer.

You will pay the fee(s) at the embassy at the beginning of your appointment. We accept U.S. dollars, Papua New Guinean kina, and international credit cards. The fees are:

  • For a CRBA: $100 U.S. dollars or kina equivalent
  • For a passport for a child age 15 and under: $115 U.S. dollars or kina equivalent
  • For a child age 16-17: $145 U.S. dollars or kina equivalent

The CRBA and passport are produced in the United States and sent to the Embassy. You should expect this to take between 2-3 weeks. If you have an urgent need to travel with your child, an emergency passport can be produced on the day of your interview.

You will receive an email from when your document(s) ready for pickup. Alternatively, you can provide a pre-paid waybill to have your documents delivered to you, or you may send a designated representative to retrieve the documents on your behalf.

The Embassy can only provide one original CRBA document. Click here for information on how to request additional copies.


Social Security Numbers

The Embassy in Port Moresby cannot process an application for your child’s social security number. This service can be provided by the Social Security Administration office located at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines. Click here to visit their website for further information.