An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment


Hand signing document

Notarial services are provided to U.S. citizens and non-citizens for documents that will be used in the United States.  The cost for a notary seal on a document is $50 USD.

Individuals wishing to have documents notarized should schedule an appointment online and come to the Embassy unit with a passport, driver’s license, identity card or other means of identification.

Please be careful not to sign the document at home or before you present it to the consular officer.  You must sign your document in the presence of the consular officer.  If the document requires witnesses’ signatures, you need to bring the witnesses with you.


Information on how to obtain a Hague apostille on public documents issued in the United States is available on the Department of State website.

On the day of your appointment, you must:

  • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
  • Present a valid government-issued ID such as a passport or driver’s license. The name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
  • Pay $50 USD per notary seal.
  • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
  • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents.

Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

  • DS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF, 345K), please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.Scales, Seal, Pen
  • Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.
  • At the Direct Request of a U.S. Municipal, State, or Federal Entity
  • At the Direct Request of a Foreign Government