Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (June 20, 2018)
Location: Southern Highlands Province and Hela Province
Event: Recent government protests and tribal fighting have caused major destruction to government buildings and public infrastructure. Police have been unable to keep public order or prevent the destruction of property.
U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to these two regions until further notice.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the Southern Highlands Province and Hela Province
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Avoid crowds.
· Avoid demonstrations
· Keep a low profile.
· Notify friends and family of your safety.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Use caution when walking or driving at night.
· Make contingency plans to leave.
· Review your personal security plans.
· Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
· Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
U.S. Embassy Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Phone number: +675-321-1455
After Hours for American Citizens: +675-7200-9439
Email address: ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov
Embassy website: https://pg.usembassy.gov/
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Country Information Page for Papua New Guinea