Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (November 20, 2018)
Location: Port Moresby and potentially other cities throughout the country.
Event: Members of the PNG Police, PNG Defence Force and Correctional Services Officers marched on the Parliament Haus today, demanding immediate payment of allowances for APEC-related work. They caused damage to the building and assaulted government workers and members of the press. Following this, sporadic looting of stores and gunfire have been reported throughout the city.
Embassy personnel are encouraged to minimize movements until further notice. The U.S. Embassy may close and staff will be advised to shelter in place if the situation worsens.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid government buildings or areas of possible protest.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
U.S. Embassy Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Phone number: +675-321-1455
After Hours for American Citizens: +675-7200-9439
Email address: ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov
Embassy website: https://pg.usembassy.gov/
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Country Information Page for Papua New Guinea