Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (January 24, 2019)
Location: Alotau, Milne Bay Province
Event: Violence has been reported in Alotau, involving the destruction and looting of properties, the theft of a hotel ATM and the shooting deaths of a number of people. Local police have locked down the city and have advised people to stay indoors. Most businesses are closed. There is no indication at this stage how long this security event is going to last. Police are sending reinforcements.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid government buildings or areas of possible protest.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
U.S. Embassy Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Phone number: +675-321-1455
After Hours for American Citizens: +675-7200-9439
Email address: ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov
Embassy website: https://pg.usembassy.gov/
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Country Information Page for Papua New Guinea