An official website of the United States government

Minor Passports – 15 Years Old and Younger

If you are renewing a minor’s passport, proceed to Step 1 below. For first-time passports for minor children born in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, or Vanuatu, please see our page on Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and the transmission of U.S. citizenship at birth. You may request a CRBA appointment here.  In addition to the CRBA forms and requirements, applicants are also encouraged to apply concurrently for a U.S. minor passport following the steps below.

Step 1 – Make an Appointment

Make an appointment at the Embassy to apply for a passport. Both parents and the child must attend the appointment, unless you meet a specific exemption. See below for details.

Step 2 – Prepare for your Appointment

Prepare the following items to bring to your appointment. Forms are available at the Embassy if you do not have access to a printer.

  1. Fill out and print the DS-11 Passport Application.  DO NOT sign the form until instructed during your appointment.
  2. One 2″ x 2″ (5cm x 5cm) photograph. Click here for exact photo requirements. Photos that do not meet these requirements will not be accepted.
  3. Proof of the minor’s citizenship + one photocopy. Usually, an original or certified copy U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or prior U.S. passport is the only proof necessary. If you are unable to submit any of these, provide any and all documentation that you believe demonstrates the minor’s U.S. citizenship, such as the parents’ citizenship documents or U.S. passports, proof of the parents’ presence in the United States, a naturalization certificate, etc. (If you are applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad at the same time as the passport, follow the document requirements for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.)
  4. Government-issued photo identification for the parent(s) + one photocopy. For example, a passport, a driver’s license, or a national or state identification card.
  5. If applicable, adoption decree (with adopting parents’ names) + one photocopy as well as amended birth certificate listing adoptive parents’ names.
  6. If applicable, court order establishing custody or guardianship + one photocopy.
  7. If either parent’s name is different from the name listed on the child’s birth certificate, name change documentation must be provided (e.g. marriage certificate, court order, etc).

Step 3 – Attend the Appointment, Pay the Fee, Interview

Come to the embassy on the date and time of your appointment with all the required documents. You will pay the application fee at the start of your appointment. The fee for a minor’s passport is USD $135. We accept U.S. dollars, Papua New Guinean kina, or international credit cards. We do not accept checks. The Consular Officer will review your application and ask questions about to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship. You will swear (or affirm) an oath under penalty of perjury that the information you provide is the truth, and the officer will ask you to sign the application at that time.

If all your documents are in order and the form is properly filled out, your appointment will usually take less than 30 minutes.

Application by One Parent Only

If only one parent is able to appear, the following will be required in addition to forms and documents listed above:

  1. Form DS-3053 correctly completed, signed, and notarized by a notary public, commissioner of oaths, or U.S. Consular Officer. Please closely follow the instructions included with the form and complete every block to the best of your knowledge. DS-3053 forms signed and notarized more than 90 days prior to the in-person service will not be accepted,
  2. A copy of the non-applying parent’s government ID used to sign and notarize the form must also be presented.

Otherwise, if the notarized consent of the absent parent is not available, you will be required to furnish evidence of the appearing parent’s sole authority to apply for the passport in the form of one of the following, as applicable:

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad listing only one parent
  • Child’s birth certificate listing only one parent
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent)
  • Court order granting sole and permanent legal and physical custody to the applying parent (i.e., the absent parent has no access to the child, and child’s travel is not restricted)
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the other parent
  • Death certificate of the other parent
  • Form DS-5525 if you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained due to exigent or special circumstances. Please note, there is a high bar for acceptance of DS-5525 forms.

Step 4 – The New Passport

The minor’s new passport will be ready within approximately two weeks. You will receive an email from ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov when the new passport is ready for pickup. If you or a designated third-party are unable to pick up your passport from the Embassy, you may provide us a pre-paid express courier envelope, such as DHL, to mail your passport to your desired location. If you have applied for both a passport book and a passport card, they will not be ready at the same time; the card will be ready approximately two weeks after you pick up the passport book.