The U.S. Embassy would like to wish you and your families a healthy and happy holiday season! Please note that while the Embassy will be closed on December 25 and 26, we will be open for regular business hours the rest of the month. And of course we are always available in the case of an emergency.
Holiday Season Alert
Historically, worldwide crime rates pick up during the holiday season and Port Moresby (as well as other major cities) is no exception. This increase in crime is often accompanied by an increase in criminal brazenness. Criminals will tend to commit riskier crimes for a perceived higher value item.
Personal security begins and ends with each individual. Good situational awareness significantly reduces becoming a victim of a crime. Please consider some of these helpful tips in making your season a safe one:
- Make sure to set your alarms when away from your house
- When you drive, make sure all windows are up and doors locked
- Don’t carry anything with you that you’re not prepared to lose
- Lock your doors and store valuables in a safe space
- Do not display cash or jewelry while out making holiday purchases
- Do not carry large amounts of cash
- When your vehicle is parked, make sure all valuables (especially phones and holiday packages) are hidden from sight
- Be very reluctant to give away any information to people – the sweepstakes ticket you just filled out with personal information could be used to steal your identity
- Help your neighbor – if you see something suspicious happening to your neighbor’s house, contact the appropriate authorities immediately
Please also note the State Department recently updated the Worldwide Caution with information on the continuing threat of terrorist actions, political violence, and criminal activity against U.S. citizens and interests abroad. This replaces the Worldwide Caution dated September 14, 2017.
Upcoming Consular Services
The U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby is pleased to announce our next visit to the Highlands for consular related services. A consular officer will be visiting the following locations:
The New Tribes Mission (NTM) on Monday, January 22 in Lapilo (near Goroka)
The Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) on Tuesday, January 23 in Ukarumpa
Please contact NTM or SIL directly to reserve an appointment time:
NTM: firstname.lastname@example.org – (+675) 7999-0719
SIL: email@example.com – (+675) 537-3544 ext. 4603 or (+675) 7217-0330 ext. 4603
The consular section may not have anyone coming to the Highlands for the next six months, so if you need your passport renewed, or any other service requiring a consular officer, please apply for an appointment NOW.
The consular officer will be available to provide basic consular services such as accepting Consular Reports of Birth Abroad applications, U.S. passport applications, and Social Security applications.
Consular Service Fees are as follow:
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad – $100.00 USD
- First/Minor Passport – $105.00 USD
- First Time adult/lost/Stolen passport – $135.00 USD
- Adult passport Renewal – $110.00 USD
- Notarial Services (per signature) – $50.00 USD
We can only accept fee payments in the form of a bank draft in U.S. dollars, drawn on a commercial bank made payable to “U.S. Embassy”. We are unable to accept personal or company checks, cash or credit cards during outreach trips.
Stay In Touch
We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in our Consular district (Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands or Vanuatu) enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at travel.state.gov the latest security updates. By enrolling, you make it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in case of an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate or consular agency.
Stay up-to-date by bookmarking our Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country Specific Information and follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook.
You can obtain updated information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays.
The U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby is located on Douglas Street, National Capital District and is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 675-321-1455 or 675-321-0289. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy is 675-7200-9439.