Health and Travel Alert – U.S. Embassy Port Moresby – Possible Repatriation Flights from Honiara to Australia with Commercial Air Options to Onward Destinations in the United States
Location: Solomon Islands
Event: U.S. citizens who wish to depart Solomon Islands are advised of the possibility of repatriation flights from Honiara to Sydney and Brisbane, from which commercial air options to onward destinations in the United States may also be available.
The U.S. Consular Agency in Solomon Islands and the U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby have been advised that repatriation flights from Honiara to Sydney and Brisbane may take place on 23 April or 30 April. To the extent such flights occur, U.S. citizens who can get to Honiara may be able to secure seats on a space-available basis.
U.S. citizens would need to secure their own onward commercial travel from Sydney or Brisbane to the United States (see further below for potential options) and are encouraged to work directly with the airlines or a travel agent to do so.
- Family name(s)
- Given name(s)
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Passport expiration date
- Email address
- Working phone number
In order to transit Australia, all non-Australian citizens or permanent residents must obtain an exemption from the Australian Border Force based on an existing reservation that includes a transit time of no more than eight hours. Travelers must remain airside (in the secure area) and cannot enter Australia.
The government of New Zealand is again allowing transit of U.S. citizens whose immediate destination after departing New Zealand is the United States. This transit option may allow U.S. citizens to transit Auckland via Sydney en route to San Francisco.
In addition to securing an exemption from Australia’s travel restrictions, U.S. citizens who wish to take advantage of this option will also need to obtain a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authorization. Travelers must remain airside (in the secure area) and cannot enter New Zealand.
The Embassy has no authority to facilitate an exemption to Australia’s or New Zealand’s border and immigration policies.
The following limited commercial air options may be available and may line up with the potential flights from Honiara.
- United Airlines to San Francisco
- Air New Zealand to Auckland – Air New Zealand from Auckland to San Francisco
- Qantas to Los Angeles
U.S. citizens are advised that the above routing options may require multiple itineraries with different airlines that may or may not have inter-airline agreements, and that routes and transit arrangements may be suspended at any time with little or no notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult with airlines and/or travel agent to try to find commercial options to the United States.
- If your itinerary transits Australia, obtain an exemption from the Australian Border Force in advance of your travel.
- If your itinerary transits New Zealand, obtain a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authorization.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
Phone number: +675 308 2100
Email address: ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov
U.S. Consular Agency in Honiara, Solomon Islands
Phone number: + 677 27429 or + 677 74 94731
U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888 407 4747 or +1 202 501 4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates