The U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby is aware of the hardship travel restrictions and flight cancellations are creating for U.S. citizens attempting to depart Vanuatu.
The government of New Zealand recently announced that, for a limited window until 23:59 on Sunday, March 29, foreign nationals, including U.S. citizens, needing to transit via Auckland International Airport to the United States will be able to do so if certain very strict conditions are met: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/coronavirus-update-inz-response.
Please read the requirements carefully.
U.S. citizens who are temporarily in Vanuatu and wish to return to the United States are advised to make every effort to take advantage of this limited option for routing back to the United States. Please work with your airline and/or travel agent as soon as possible.
To the extent possible, citizens who wish to take advantage of this opportunity should travel with a health certificate declaring that they are free from symptoms consistent with COVID-19 and are otherwise healthy.
Travelers should be prepared for additional policies and restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult with your airline or travel agent if you are a U.S. citizen temporarily in Vanuatu and wish to return to the United States
- Pay close attention to the requirements for transiting New Zealand en route to the United States and consult the New Zealand Immigration’s website regularly for any additional updates.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
Phone number: +675 321 2100
Email address: ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov
U.S. Consular Agency in Honiara, Solomon Islands
Phone number: + 677 27429 or + 677 74 94731
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888 407 4747 or +1 202 501 4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates