Location: Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu
Event: U.S. citizens are advised that the proposed Department of State charter flights from Papua New New Guinea and Vanuatu to the United States announced on April 1, 2020 have been delayed unexpectedly. They will not take place on April 6, 2020 as originally planned.
However, we continue to plan for these charter flights and will provide more information and updated dates at the earliest possible moment.
U.S. citizens who are interested in leaving Papua New Guinea immediately but for whom arriving at Goroka or Port Moresby was not previously possible are further advised that the government’s potential easing of domestic air travel restrictions on April 7th may create an additional opportunity to join the planned international charter service to the United States.
Please check with domestic airlines regarding their flight routes and continue to monitor STEP messages such as this one for additional information about the Department of States charter flights.
U.S. citizens may find the original announcements about the charter flights at the following links. U.S. citizens who have not already expressed interest in the flights may find instructions for doing so at the links. If you have already expressed interest, please do NOT do so again.
- Information on limited charter options from Papua New Guinea to the United States: https://pg.usembassy.gov/health-and-travel-alert-department-of-state-charter-flights-from-goroka-and-port-moresby-papua-new-guinea-to-the-united-states/
- Information on a limited charter option from Vanuatu to the United States: https://pg.usembassy.gov/health-and-travel-alert-u-s-department-of-state-charter-flight-from-port-vila-vanuatu-to-the-united-states/
- Consult the for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
Phone number: +675 308 2100
Email address: ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov
U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888 407 4747 or +1 202 501 4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates