In the event of the death of an American Citizen in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, or Vanuatu:
Please contact U.S. Embassy Port Moresby by phone at +675 308-9100. After normal business hours, your call will be received by a duty officer, who will take your information and determine whether or not further action must be taken immediately, or if the situation can wait until the next business day.
You will be asked to provide as much information as possible relating to the deceased, such as:
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of death (e.g. name and address of the hospital)
- Cause of death (if known)
- Most recent U.S. passport number
- Social Security Number
- Military I.D. number (if applicable)
- Name and contact details of the next of kin
- Most recent address in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, or Vanuatu
The U.S. Embassy can assist the family in making arrangements with local authorities for preparation and disposition of the remains, following the family’s instruction in accordance with local law. Please see Funerary and Mortuary Services for additional information.
A Consular “Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad” will be prepared. This is a report that provides the essential facts concerning the death of a U.S. citizen, disposition of remains, and custody of the personal effects of a deceased citizen.