Location: Mount Ulawun, West New Britain Province, Papua New Guinea
Event: Papua New Guinea’s volatile Ulawun volcano began spewing ash at approximately 7 a.m. on Wednesday, 26 June 2019. Hoskins Airport is closed and the Rabaul Volcano Observatory has declared a stage one alert warning of a possible eruption. Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre issued a “red” warning to airlines, indicating the eruption was imminent or underway.
The U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby is unaffected and conducting normal business.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area around Mount Ulawun.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
U.S. Embassy Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Phone number: +675-321-1455
After Hours for American Citizens: +675-7200-9439
Email address: ConsularPortMoresby@state.gov
Embassy website: https://pg.usembassy.gov/
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates